Since 2014, NCA has competed in the F.I.R.S.T. Lego League (FLL) resulting in winning championship teams each year. Teams have competed in local qualifying challenges, Western Washington Semi-Finalists, Regional Championships, and Washington State Championships. Every year, NCA Robotics teams compete against 400 teams.
Robotics Teams from 6th, 7th and 8th grades have received numerous awards over the past 6 years. These include Inspiration Award for Core Values, Global Innovation Award, Robot Innovation Award, Innovation Solution Award, and Core Teamwork Award. Teams have also been invited to the North American Open Championship, First World Championships in St. Louis, Missouri.
Several companies, including Microsoft, Boeing, Fluke, and Intermec, have helped the NCA Robotics program succeed with grants and contributions over the past six years.
Each year NCA has 36 students who compete in the ACSI Math Olympics competition.
The top 3 students for each 3rd-8th grade class are chosen in two different categories: reasoning and computation.
2019 Math Awards
In 2019, NCA students competed against 255 students from 11 different private schools. Out of 76 possible winners, NCA earned 30 top winning spots. Our students earned ten out of the fifteen 1st place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. Three of our 1st place winners scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
2018 Math Awards
NCA students competed against 245 students from 11 different schools in 2018. There were 60 winning ribbons available and NCA earned 26 of those ribbons. Our students also earned eight out of the twelve 1st place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. Out of our 8 NCA 1st place winners, 6 scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
2017 Math Awards
In 2017, NCA students competed against 245 students from 11 different schools. NCA earned 26 out of 60 of those ribbons. Our students also earned seven out of the twelve 1st place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. All of our 1st place winners scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
A Seven-Time National Award Winning School
Northshore Christian Academy (NCA) received the following Association of Christian Schools International ‘Exemplary School Awards’ from 2004 until 2011. NCA was also the last school to receive an ACSI award before ACSI discontinued the awards in 2012.
Grants and awards
- National Blue Ribbon Award 2019. Only 1% of all public and private schools receive this prestigious award. NCA is recognized for its high student achievement, school culture, and special programming such as faith, fine arts, and STEM.
- NCA Teacher, Mrs. Raine Sherwood, was chosen as STEM Teacher of the Year by the University of Washington Husky Alumni and Athletic Association. 2019
- NCA Teacher, Mrs. Sarah Leighow, was chosen as Educator of the Month, recognizing excellence in education in Snohomish County by KRKO and KKXA Radio Stations. 2014-2015
- Murdock/Seattle Pacific University Professional Development Grant to create Professional Learning Communities as a vehicle to develop professional capacity to impact student learning. The outcome was a collaborative practice of continual improvement in student learning. 2011-2014
- Intermec Foundation Grants, K-12 Education Support Program—funding math, reading study skills and science equipment, resources and curriculum. 2011-1015
Best Principal of Western Washington Award presented by King 5 Evening Magazine’s “Best of Western Washington”.