National Blue Ribbon School Award
NCA was awarded a National Blue Ribbon School in 2019 by the US Department of Education.
- Only 1% of all public and private schools receive this prestigious award.
- NCA was 1 of only 50 non-public schools across the country, and the only private school recipient on the West Coast, to receive this 2019 award.
- NCA is recognized for its high student achievement, school culture, and special programming such as faith, fine arts, and STEM.
This award can only be received once every 5 years.
Learn more on our National Blue Ribbon School webpage>
Project Lead The Way Awards
sProject Lead The Way – Distinguished Launch School (K-5th)
As an integral part of our STEM and Engineering program, Northshore Christian Academy has been Nationally recognized as a Project Lead The Way (PLTW) Distinguished School since 2019. This special recognition is for providing broad access to transformative learning opportunities for students through PLTW Launch.
“It is a great honor to recognize NCA for their commitment to providing students with an excellent educational experience,” said Dr. Vince Bertram, President and CEO of PLTW. “They should be very proud of their work to ensure students have the knowledge and skills to be career ready and successful on any career path they choose.”
Inspiring, Engaging, and Empowering Students
PLTW Launch’s interdisciplinary modules bring learning to life. The program empowers students to adopt a design-thinking mindset through compelling activities, projects, and problems that build upon each other and relate to the world around them. And as students engage in hands-on activities in computer science, engineering, and biomedical science, they become creative, collaborative problem solvers ready to take on any challenge.
Since NCA began boosting up our STEM program in 2014, our K-5th grade students have enjoyed PLTW’s science curriculum. The use of four modules in each grade gives students access to entirely new knowledge while learning to manipulate the module tools and work together as a team to accomplish exciting achievements.
Since 2014, NCA has competed in the F.I.R.S.T. LEGO League (FLL) resulting in winning championship teams each year. Teams have competed in local qualifying challenges, Western Washington Semi-Finalists, Regional Championships, and Washington State Championships. Every year, NCA Robotics teams compete against 400 teams.
Robotics Teams from 6th, 7th and 8th grades have received numerous awards since 2014. These include Inspiration Award for Core Values, Global Innovation Award, Robot Innovation Award, Innovation Solution Award, and Core Teamwork Award. Teams have also been invited to the North American Open Championship, First World Championships in St. Louis, Missouri.
NCA also offers a Jr. Robogators program for 2nd-4th grade students. Jr. Robogators follows the FIRST LEGO League Explore curriculum that instructs students how to find solutions to problems while building with LEGO robots.
Several companies, including Microsoft, Boeing, Fluke, and Intermec, have helped the NCA Robotics program succeed with grants and contributions over the past six years.
Math Olympics Awards
Since 2008, NCA has competed and often hosted the area ACSI Math Olympics competition. Approximately 11 schools participate annually, and the top three students for each 3rd-8th grade class qualify to compete in two different categories: Reasoning and Computation.
2021 Math Awards
This year NCA Academy had 35 qualifiers plus 32 qualifiers from NCA Virtual Academy. Award details are coming soon…
2020 Math Awards
34 NCA students competed along with 272 students from 11 different schools competed this year. NCA received 37% of the total ribbons awarded in the competition, and earned 36% of the First Place ribbons. Medals were awarded to five NCA 1st place finishers for scoring 85% or higher. 74% of NCA participants earned a ribbon for the top five places.
2019 Math Awards
NCA students competed against 255 students from 11 different private schools. Out of 76 possible winners, NCA earned 30 top winning spots. Our students earned 10 out of the 15 First Place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. Three of our Frist Place winners scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
2018 Math Awards
NCA students competed against 245 students from 11 different schools in 2018. There were 60 winning ribbons available and NCA earned 26 of those ribbons. Our students also earned eight out of the twelve 1st place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. Out of our 8 NCA 1st place winners, 6 scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
2017 Math Awards
In 2017, NCA students competed against 245 students from 11 different schools. NCA earned 26 out of 60 of those ribbons. Our students also earned seven out of the twelve 1st place ribbons awarded for the entire competition. All of our 1st place winners scored 85% or higher and received a medal.
Grants and awards
NCA is regularly blessed by special recognition of Faculty and by grants supporting our efforts. Here are just a few of mention:
- Amy Benton, NCA 4th Grade Teacher, for being honored as Star 101.5 Teacher of the Week, in April 2021
- Sarah Rodney, NCA 5th Grade Teacher, recognized as ‘Spirit 105.3 Exceptional Teacher’ in March 2021
- Raine Sherwood, NCA PLTW Teacher, was chosen as STEM Teacher of the Year by the University of Washington Husky Alumni and Athletic Association. 2019
- Sarah Leighow, NCA Kindergarten Teacher, was chosen as Educator of the Month, recognizing excellence in education in Snohomish County by KRKO and KKXA Radio Stations. 2014-2015
- Murdock/Seattle Pacific University Professional Development Grant to create Professional Learning Communities as a vehicle to develop professional capacity to impact student learning. The outcome was a collaborative practice of continual improvement in student learning. 2011-2014
- Intermec Foundation Grants, K-12 Education Support Program—funding math, reading study skills and science equipment, resources and curriculum, 2011-1015
- Holly Leach, Best Principal of Western Washington Award presented by King 5 Evening Magazine’s “Best of Western Washington”, October 2011.
A Seven-Time National Award Winning School
Northshore Christian Academy (NCA) received the following Association of Christian Schools International ‘Exemplary School Awards’ from 2004 until 2011. NCA was also the last school to receive an ACSI award before ACSI discontinued the awards in 2012.