Northshore Christian Academy (NCA) utilizes a variety of ways of recognizing our students as valuable teaching tools that are motivational, encourage the enjoyment of learning, and inspire positive behaviors and leadership skills. We use several distinct types of recognition throughout the school year which include highlighting spiritual gifts, good character and conduct, and focused acknowledgment of academic efforts and achievements.
Each of our elementary and middle school divisions, K-2nd, 3rd-5th, and 6th-8th, recognize good conduct weekly, good character/spiritual gifts weekly or monthly, and academic honors quarterly. Students also receive seasonal team awards, and awards for specific involvements in Reading (AR), Speech Meet, and Math Olympics. Annually our 5th & 8th grades receive Presidential Awards for Outstanding Academic Excellence based on grades and standardized test outcome requirements. Finally, we give special homeroom or grade level, core subjects, and leadership awards at the end of each year.
Here are the specific motivational and inspiring recognition tools used to help encourage and prepare our students for a lifetime of learning and achievements:
ACKNOWLEDGING STUDENT GOOD CONDUCT
- LION’S R.O.A.R.! Recognizing Outstanding Awesome Remarkable Character (K-5th) – Lion’s ROAR squares are given to students when they show courageous leadership, being Godly Leaders. We really want to honor the kids who are choosing to lead in a Godly way. Students are celebrated by the Academy office staff and choose a prize.
- Middle School Cookie Passes (6th-8th) – Students receive Cookie Passes for being respectful, kind, responsible, or helpful. Once they receive a Cookie Pass, they can turn the pass to the office for a big cookie!
RECOGNIZING GOOD CHARACTER / SPIRITUAL GIFTS OF STUDENTS
- Student of the Week (K-2nd) – Students are recognized once a week at Chapel and receive a Student of the Week Certificate.
- Student of the Month (3rd-5th) – Students are recognized once a month at Chapel, receive a Student of the Month Certificate, and attend a free pizza luncheon the following day.
- Student of the Month (6th-8th) – Students are recognized once a month at Chapel, receive a Student of the Month Certificate, and enjoy a special pizza lunch the following week. For 8th grade, a single student is selected by the staff each month.
CELEBRATING ACADEMIC STUDENT ACHIEVEMENTS WITH HONOR ROLLS
- Middle School 6th-8th Honor Rolls:
- Principals List (3.75 GPA)
- High Honors (3.50-3.74 GPA)
- Honors (3.25 GPA)
- Students who have earned a place on the respective lists will have their names posted in the hallways at the end of each quarter. Students on the Principals List also receive a celebratory muffin. Any student with a final grade of a D-, D, D+, or F in any core or elective class, does not qualify for honor roll.
- Elementary 3rd-5th Honor Rolls
- Principal High Honor Roll – Must have all A’s in Bible, Writing/Language, Reading, Math, Science, and History. Must have EE/ME on Key Behaviors that Promote Learning.
- Lions Honor Roll – Must have A or B in Bible, Writing/Language, Reading, Math, Science, and History. Must have EE/ME on Key Behaviors that Promote Learning.
- Every quarter, we run the honor roll report and highlight students who have earned these academic awards through posting the list in the hallways and email home to parents. Students receive a Rice Krispies treat from the office as congratulations.
SPECIAL STUDENT RECOGNITION / END OF YEAR AWARDS
- Accelerated Reader Awards for 100 or 250 points (3rd-5th)
- ACSI Math Olympics Awards for Reasoning & Computation (6th-8th)
- ACSI Math Olympics Finalists & Winners in Reasoning or Computation (3rd-5th)
- Core Subject Awards in Math, English, Science, History & Bible (6th-8th)
- Drama Team (5th)
- Jr. Robotics Teams (2nd-5th)
- Leadership Teams (5th)
- Presidential Awards for Outstanding Academic Excellence (5th & 8th)
- Robotics Teams Recognition (6th-8th)
- Servant’s Heart Award for Excellence in Christian Character (6th-8th)
- Special Character Awards (6th-8th)
- Special Class Awards (K-2nd)
- Speech Meet Finalists in Bible or Poetry Categories (3rd-5th)
- Student Leaders Council Recognition (7th-8th)
- Tech Ambassadors (4th-5th)
- Where Everyone Belongs / WEB (8th)